Tuesday 15 May 2007

Values, Principles and We

1 Day 2 posts and that too when you are in a timeline is not a common thing for me ... but yet I am here cause the previous one was in my heart and this one in my mind.... I wont be able to sleep today if I dont blog this...
Watching China Gate last night and specially the performance of Late Mr. Amrish Puri in the movie is a lesson that you can't talk alone about your Values and Principles if you dont follow it..

In one of my earlier posts on Values and GoodWill I mentioned that values last long only, Principles needs to be practised and ofcourse one need to know what his Values and Principles are.... not lately and just related to the same matter I described in my previous post I feel that so many of us dont know what Values we have as a Team or to that matter own's value....

I know people talking about several things while following nothing... be it work or personal life, be it hobbies or likings... Sometimes NO Values or NO principles is the reason the other times its awareness... Many a times people practise and preserve and preach their values without knowing it... Unfortunately they cant preserve these for long as human being is likely to move out of repetative things sooner or later...

It was a pity feeling when I realised that so many of us dont know what are our own values.. or to that matter what are Values... similarly not many have principles that they claim to follow... Be it professionally, Logically or emotionally. It is the same feeling that drive me to think that working with a Team it needs to be explained to every single part of the team about the values we carry and the principles we practice... The fact that this will really help them build up to be great leaders provokes me to follow up on my last discussion wit Kari on following one principle for the whole week or by putting up the Connery Board every day or week on the walls of the office Listing every single value the Team should/Do practise and letting everyone know how it is been practised...

While I am cooling down and waiting for the new week to begin and kickoff... I am forced to think about the first thing I value and to that matter is the Agile Manifesto ...
Interactions over processes and tools


Regards
Sameer Shaikh

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! It is a great idea...

    Pin Values, Paste Values, Nail values, Talk values, Show values, Print values, ... values, ... values

    actually, I think "A value, is a belief, which is meaningful and visible through people's action, not their talk".

    If you keep saying...
    "Hey guy, I care for others..."
    "Hey gal, I am honest with you..."
    "Hey boy, I share and learn things..."
    "Hey someone, I believe in equality..."
    "Hey you, I am Open..."

    Sad it is, coz, the values are not seen in your action, but by your talk...it is the saddest thing ever...

    One of my collegue was sharing his experience with me the next day he joined our organization. He was talking about his house and the struggle he went through in buying it, it took no time for me to understand that he is the one driven by values, later actions have always proved this right.

    Another collegue, the actions he took to bring one of our junior team up to the speed by spending his blood on it, wow! surely was driven by values...

    One another collegue, who never complained about anyone in the organization even though when he was having nightmares with some... always trying to look for a solution... amazes me all the time...

    An another one,....

    Gosh! I have too many role models in our organization ;-).


    I believe in preaching the value...

    "Eh? mate you are contradicting yourself" - I can hear that... hang on.... ;-)

    I believe in preaching the values, by practicing not by talking.

    It spreads, if observed. To observe and digest it requires a level of maturity.

    Waiting for the day where we all observe and practice the values and not talk about it. ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a difference of Opinion here.... when I wrote about Mentors I really meant that there is a set of people who drives you to learn things.... which involves 2 things
    1. Make em learn
    2. Do things that they can learn

    To me not everyone can practice by seeing... if that was the case then we would never had the Prophets... who were here to teach something core... though not a Value but like a Value? Values are to be made known to them who have a blindfold and cannot see.... I see several hundreds here who do that.... at the same time they learn mis-values very easil by seeing.... Did I ever tell that several of my good friends started smoking just because they saw someone... but never quit even if they saw someone quitting it? I feel everyone needs to know what Values mean... neverthless the weaker section of the immature society never knows what it means...

    ReplyDelete