Sachin Tendulkar the legendary cricketer was inspired by Kapil Dev the Indian cricket Team captain who won the 1983 world cup for India, this was when he was just learning to walk. Behind every legendary man/women there is a short inspiring story, this story plays a crucial role in the lives of these legends and thus make them legendary.
Your team always look at you with very high regards, yes they idealise you, they see you as their inspiration.. no matter what you do when you begin with your team, you begin as a inspirational part of their lives. However busy in the day to day routines you forget to inspire them in spite of being inspirational...Every Team member is like a hot iron rod if several other iron rods put pressure on it, it may not take the right shape, but when the hammer puts force it may(The hammer has to take care that it applies the right pressure and not force). And surely if the iron bar takes the right shape, it is going to love you for it....
Every member of your Team holds some exclusive quality within, if you can find that out and give way to it so the team member can do something of it, is he not going to love you for helping him expose and liberate his talent? There are different ways to inspire... Some people let others do what they want to others do things that can inspire else do it too. Everything and anything that you or your team does can inspire one or the other member of your team, you just have to use the right way to present it...
A few ways to inspire your teams:
I always think there is active inspiring and passive inspiring
1. If you have found something very interesting or innovative on the web world
a. Speak about it in front of your teams
b. Tell them the benefits , usage and some good points of it
c. Show them how to use it, how you use it
d. Promote to get it used
e. Ask them ideas on how it can help the teams
2. If you know certain talents of your team members
a. Speak about those topics with them
b. Discuss pros and cons with them
c. Discuss legends, stories , success stories of people in the area of interest
d. Refer them to sites, people who you know in the same field
e. Share experiences
3. Creating a forum and debating on the topics of like
a. Create a forum where a lot of people can come together and discuss things. This will help your teams take a deeper dive into things
1. Put a note or a symbol that can be seen.. Knowing some of the developers who were interested in blogging I made a point that I put my IM status message to my blog link, only later I realised that with every change in the status I had majority of them visiting the link. You don’t need to speak, if they are interested they will find a way to do it.
2. Create curiosity by not talking much about it.. sometimes less talking does more thinking.. speak once about it and let others to explore
3. Let them overhear – When the topics of discussion are interesting to others.. let them overhear.. they will go back and find details about it, would go and take it more further.
Yes.. Inspiring your team is something you would want to do.. Because if you can inspire them, you will find that they can do more then just getting inspired.. In turn to bring some good to them, they are going to love you.